The Pepsi National Battle of the Bands presented by Toyota is set for Sat., Aug. 27, at NRG Stadium. More than 2,000 musicians and eight of the nation's top marching bands will take part, including Prairie View A&M University's "Marching Storm."
Also in this year's lineup are:
- Alabama A&M University, Marching Maroon & White Band
- Alcorn State University, The Sounds of Dyn-O-mite Marching Band
- Bethune Cookman University, Marching Wildcats
- Grambling State University, World Famed Tiger Marching Band
- Kentucky State University, Mighty Marching Thorobreds
- North Carolina A&T State University, The Blue and Gold Marching Machine
- Southern University, Human Jukebox
The event showcases HBCU culture plus the unique style and sound of Black college marching bands. It also works with minority business owners to create job opportunities, provides scholarships for college and high school band programs, and hosts college recruitment fairs where high school students get accepted on the spot.
Chris Massey, vice president of the Harris County–Houston Sports Authority, said, "The National Battle of the Bands is the perfect event to celebrate and amplify the city's love of arts, education, and HBCU culture. We are looking forward to packing the house and celebrating with fans from all over the country!"
Tickets are $20 at Ticketmaster.