Houston, Texas- For the past 4-years Burns Original Bar-B-Que has awarded recent high school grads with scholarships to further their educational goals. As the Burns family prepares to celebrate 50 years in business, they proudly honored students who are headed to college in Fall 2022. With over 90 applicants, the team carefully selected the top 10 choices that fit the criteria. This year’s recipients received a $1,000 scholarship, a gift bag filled with tools to help them be successful during their first semester, and lunch provided for their families at Burns.
“We are proud of these students. Each year it fulfills me and my family to be able to provide scholarships to students. We plan to continue to serve in this capacity as we have heard success stories from previous students that we have helped,” - Says owner of Burns Original Bar-B-Que, Cory Crawford.
This year's scholarship recipients are below:
1. Nickerra S. Shadow Creek High School going to Southern University
2. Vashon A. Blanson CTE High School going to Prairie View A&M
3. Kennadee L. Channelview High School going to Lamar University
4. Jayden B. Summer Creek High School going to Louisiana State University
5. Taylor P. Lamar High School going to Xavier University of Louisiana
6. Ky'Una J. Northside High School going to Lamar University
7. Mackenzie D. Benjamin O'Davis High School going to Witchita State University
8. Logan L. Young Women's College Prep Academy going to Spelman College
9. Tierra A. Westfield High School going to Texas Southern University
10. Autumn M. Second Baptist going to Baylor University
About Burns Original Bar-B-Que
It all started in 1973 when Roy Burns Sr. started off his small local business venture selling barbecue to the Acres Home community in Houston, Tx. Today, Burn's Original BBQ (and sister restaurant Burns Burger Shack) are Texas staples that people come from all over the world to taste. Due to the overwhelming love of Burns Original BBQ, people have demanded that the BBQ hotspot cater their events, big and small, and they have for years. The Burns family is committed to helping their community as they provide scholarships, free food, and host community events yearly.
Congratulations to all the graduates!!!